Thursday, July 19, 2012

Epic Win


So I’m going to admit something here. I love video games. I don’t consider myself a gamer, but an afternoon of Mario Kart for N64 sounds like a great time. I grew up, however, listening to my mom tell me that these video games were going to “rot my brain.” Several arguments could have been avoided if I would have had access to McGonigal’s talk. I found the Gee paper and McGonigal’s TED talk fascinating in how they actually gave solid evidence for the place of video games in education and even as tools to save the world. 

The games discussed at the end of McGonigal’s talk were very interesting. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical in the beginning. I mean, saying that 21 billion hours of gaming each week is going to solve global warming? This seems a little counterintuitive. When I think of games, I think of the hours I’ve spent helping Link or Mario save the princess. I don’t think these skills will help me solve the world’s problems. When she described “A World Without Oil,” I started to see where she was coming from. This game, she said, actually got people to think differently about spending and oil usage to the point that they actually changed how they acted outside of the “virtual world.” This is a powerful tool that can be used to get people to think about problems and be able to virtually solve them. Perhaps they will then feel that they can solve similar problems in their real lives.

What fascinated me most about the Gee paper is all of the connections I saw between the positive outcomes of gaming and some of the teaching goals we have discussed in all of our classes. For example, Gee makes the point that games are able to provide feedback and new problems to the gamer. We have discussed the usefulness of effective and timely feedback in our classes. In a video game, that feedback is instant, which allows for faster self-evaluation. If your character “dies” trying to defeat the “boss,” you know you did something wrong and you can go back and try something new. He also talks about how games effectively facilitate practice and give appropriate challenges. Games allow the gamer to practice certain skills for a period of time before offering new problems with new required skills. Therefore, the gamer spends a lot of time practicing a particular skill set. Once the player has mastered these skills, the game poses a new challenge. We have discussed in several of our classes the importance of practice and providing work at the appropriate difficulty level. Gamers are willing to devote HOURS to practice. If the gamer is playing a game like those discussed by McGonigal, these hours of practice could actually lead to positive change.  

The only part of the talk and the paper I took issue with was that they talked about how, in games, there are no real consequences for our actions. If we fail a level, we just go back to the beginning and everything is reset to the original conditions. This is the one aspect of gaming that, to me, is nothing like real life. I am all for encouraging risk taking, but if gamers are to take such risks in real life, I believe it is necessary to have an accurate picture of possible consequences. If you “fail” and something in real life, things don’t just reset to how they were before. Certain actions cannot be undone.

All in all, I really enjoyed this weeks reading. I’ve learned even more technological applications I can use in the future. McGonigal described gamers as an “untapped human resource.” I agree that we should move away from dismissing gaming and actually try to use gaming to solve the problems that, as McGonigal said, will help us survive the next century. I also hope that by the end of this program, we all feel as though we have achieved an “epic win.” 

4 comments:

  1. Sarah! I agree with just about everything in this post, which is why I am so excited to comment on it. I too loved video games growing up, but found myself dissuaded from playing by my parents. I particularly remember my parents getting extremely mad at me for playing Neopets for hours on end in middle school and for never, ever putting down my Gameboy when I was on a roll and this close to saving Princess Peach from Bowser.

    I loved how the points in Gee's article related to what we have been talking about in class. If these games really showcase these qualities, why have we not used them before now?

    Wanna go to the basement of the Dude with me tomorrow after class and play some video games?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually know who Bowser is. My daughters played Mario forever on their DSIs till they got stolen. Now they play something you may be unfamiliar with: Animal Jam, offered by National Geographic. It has a lot to do with buying things for your den... I found it intriquing that you used McGonigal's own word, "counterintuitive." The most important comment I have seen while perusing these postings is your insight that, unlike in virtual "reality," out here in the *real* real world actions cannot be undone. My brilliant Classical Archeology professor Christopher Ratte this Spring Semester explained something that had always puzzled me: why the Greeks and Romans sacrificed animals to their gods. It was, he said, because unlike the immortal gods, we mortals must die, and the sacrifice was an expression of the necessity for human beings to suffer the consequences--including the ultimate sacrifice--of their actions. Maybe the oil-less gamers are classically conditioned much less than somehow cognitively more sophisticated. The energetic validation of video games is suspect. My wife works with a child-man with two children who wears a plastic sword and is prepared for the zombie apocalypse. The dungeons-and-dragons syndrome has been considerably amped up. From the standpoint of someone whose most valuable reference book was printed in 1805 and cost $15--I just don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the relationship between the real and the virtual world is worth exploring further. I wonder if McGonigal's research dealt with this. Does a person's virtual personality differ from their "real" personality? Does the way they interact online differ from the way they interact with others face to face? What about their opinions of justice? Do they act on those beliefs more frequently in the virtual world? Less frequently? Do the four traits McGonigal attributed to gamers manifest themselves in the outside world or is it reserved to their quests in the game world? And most importantly, can I ask another question in this "comment?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen, someday when life isn't so crazy, I will absolutely take you up on that offer!

    Preston, thank you for your kind comments! It sounds like we are on the same page.

    NewOrator, I appreciate all the questions! It makes a response on my own blog much easier. I do believe that, in general, one's virtual personality is different than their "real" personality. I think it has to do mostly with the fact that there are no "real" consequences in games. Our gaming selves are braver and more open to new situations. The risk of consequences of our actions stops us from being as bold as our gaming characters. I think more research would have to be done to find a generalizable answer to your other questions. Based on McGonigal's discussion of the people involved in the oil game trial, it seems that the four traits can manifest themselves in the "real" world. More research is being done, so time will tell.

    ReplyDelete